How to Use the New Javascript

Keryth987
Keryth987

So, cna someone please explain how to use this new capability? What goes in the JavaScript Box and what goes on the webpage?

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

I'm copying this from nuadaria's post on the other thread ...

https://forums.obsidianportal.com/discussion/comment/47515/#Comment_47515

if(document.getElementsByClassName('wiki-edit').length < 1){
    var siblingDiv = document.getElementsByClassName('wiki-page-container');
    var div = document.createElement('div');
    div.innerHTML = '<div class="wiki-edit"><a class="button" href="'+window.location.href+'/edit">Edit This Page</a></div>';

siblingDiv[0].parentNode.insertBefore(div, siblingDiv.nextSibling);
    }

Copy that code exactly, and then paste it in the Campaign Settings -> Advanced -> Custom JavaScript box.

Then click Save.

Then go to any Wiki Page in your Campaign, and scroll down to the bottom of the main section, and you'll see the button for "Edit This Page".  You'll probably want to add some CSS to position it, but otherwise, it should work as is.

You don't need to put anything on the Wiki Pages themselves to make this work.  Part of the power here is similar to the Custom CSS where you make change in one place (the Advanced tab) and it affects (or can affect) everything in the Campaign.

Does that answer the question?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Seems to work. So I just add things java wise there and thats it then?

• thaen
    thaen

Yeah, just like Custom CSS.  (Let me know if I'm not fully understanding your question?)

Just noting, "Java" and "JavaScript" are two separate programming languages.  So, if you were googling for some "Java" code to show a popup, that code wouldn't work.  But, if you were googling for some "JavaScript" code to show a popup, that code would work.

• Glyph3x
    Glyph3x

So could we create a separate HTML page then and call it using JS? For A side nav bar for example, so it doesnt have to have it repasted on each page

Post edited by Glyph3x on
  • thaen
    thaen

@Glyph3x, yep, this could be used for that.  For that specific example, a side nav bar, we already have the Custom Navigation feature (in the Campaign Settings -> Advanced), which enables you to replace the side nav bar with whatever HTML you want.  Let me know if I'm not making sense.

• JOHAN255
    JOHAN255

Just noting, "Java" and "JavaScript" are two separate programming languages. So, if you were googling for some "Java" code to show a popup, that code wouldn't work. But, if you were googling for some "JavaScript" code to show a popup, that code would work.