Commenting out

RaseCidraen
RaseCidraen
edited October 2010 in Campaign Portal Building
Is there an official way to "comment out" things in your wiki? I want to help myself, and make things less scary to players who don't know HTML as well.

Comments

• Curufea
    Curufea
    If you use HTML for your wiki pages, most browsers allow the title attribute for any tag, so if they hover over the element, they'll get a hint.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Thanks for that - I was more curious about commenting things out in the html themselves: e.g. typing things in the page that don't actually show up on the page. It's a coding practice I picked up in University... you add comments so that people who came in to edit your programs know how you set things up.
  • Curufea
    Curufea
    Ah! Sorry, I was thinking of something else. I hadn't heard the phrase "commenting out" before - I'm familiar with commenting or documenting :)

I don't think textile allows hidden text that you could use for adding comments to a page that would only be seen when editing the page.
  • zalambar
    Take advantage of Obsidian Portal's css and add a "hide" class to any elements you do not want displayed.

@p(hide). hidden paragraph@

hidden paragraph
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    Awesome! Thanks!!
  • zalambar
    Just be aware that while this hides an element on the page it does not remove it and the elements can still be seen by looking at the page source. That shouldn't be an issue when you just want to provide examples or templates for your players to follow. I just wouldn't use this to try to hide information you don't want them to see yet.
  • RaseCidraen
    RaseCidraen
    For that, there's ninjas, notepads, or just plain not putting it on the Wiki. ...or just using the GM only section of the page :)
  • Vandor
    Vandor
    Nice, just like the old REM statements. I used to use those a lot.
    or //remark statements, from C, I think.
  • Takissis
    Takissis
    Oh, Thank you! I've been so irritated because none of the commenting options I knew seemed to work. I've tried every thing from to /* */ and nothing worked.

I needed this more for my own work. Half the time I'm trying to find an error and I'm like...did I miss a tag? Then I have to start counting. Or I left out some other stupid thing. I swear, more errors on my pages come from me just forgetting a > or " or :.
    Post edited by Takissis on
  • Abersade
    Abersade

Holy Necro-Spam Batman

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub