NPCs and displaying

reezel
reezel

I am relatively new here and could use some help with my character section. I am running a Mage 20th Anniversary game. I am trying to add NPCs in and would like to be able to add their Dynamic Sheet Templates in so I can store their characters there. This hasn't been a problem for me. However, I want to be able to display the Description, not just the Quick Description, to my PCs, without displaying the character sheet to them. I am incredibly stumped as to how I can achieve this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Welcome!  Sorry for causing the stumped-ness. 

The "Private Character" checkbox is a new feature and currently only allows either "hiding all except the Quick Description and Image", or "showing all including the Bio and DST".

In the case of using DSTs, even if you aren't using "Private Character", the Description is not displayed when viewing the Character.  I think the original idea was that the "Description" was where you would put a non-DST character's stats, so the DST replaces the Description when the DST is used.

It sounds like there might be a need for another area on the Character.  What information are you wanting to put in the Description box to show to your Players?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• reezel
    reezel

I am just starting up the game and I want to give the characters some back story on their friends they would already know. It seemed like Biography and Description would be a good place for this. I also wondered if there was a way to pull character data out and into a wiki entry and display it there? I wanted to give the characters a way to share their own stories as well but not their character sheets if they don't want to. 

• thaen
    thaen

At the moment, there's not a built-in way to hide the character sheets, but not the Description and/or Bio.  It sounds like maybe the "Private Character" checkbox should really be a "dropdown" that has a variety of selections that allows the GM/Player to choose what to show and what to hide.

I also wondered if there was a way to pull character data out and into a wiki entry and display it there?

I can't think of a built-in way to do this, but you could manually create a wiki page for each character, and even link to the character in the wiki page, and then detail any information that you want to share with the Players about that character there.  Let me know if I'm not understanding your question.

• reezel
    reezel

Thanks, I think I can go that route. I was just hoping I could do it all in one spot but I can make this work. 

• thaen
    thaen

One option you could do is create a Player Secret on the NPC with the information you want to share, and just check all of the Players as "Who can see this?".  So then it would be all in one spot still.

Post edited by thaen on