Items - option to allow edits from everyone

jodie
jodie

Have a wee checkbox on items that mark them as group items and allow anyone to edit them. Currently they behave like PCs by default I think. 

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Can you give some details on the scenario you'd use this?  Like what kind of item would this be?  And when/why would multiple Players want to Edit it?

Obsidian Portal Developer

• jodie
    jodie

A shared resource like a container everyone can access (with potions or gold), a mode of transport, artifacts fixed in place used at a fortress or something. 

You might want to update because you've used the resources (potions, gold, charges), or because you've purchased upgrades (gun implacements, spikes on the wheels, whatever).

My actual use cases are a wand of secrets that's shared, and a business bank account for a tavern. I've just given ownership to the most invested player, but obviously I'd prefer to encourage ownership in the others too. 

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for the details!  Sounds reasonable.  I've added this feature request to the list.

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

I think this would be a good feature. I don't use the items page because it's a bit too much like copy of the characters page but I feel I (and my players) would make more use of it if it worked more along ownership lines. 

My current items page is like this (all wikis organized by ownership):

https://gaximplague.obsidianportal.com/wikis/items-of-note

My players do reffer to it to see who has what important item. 

If each item had a drop-down which connected to a list of PC's and an options for "general", and then that the view of the page could have a button to switch between alphabetical or per owner.

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

• thaen
    thaen

Thanks for the vote for this feature, @Frak_Lou_Elmo!

At the bottom of the Edit view of the Item, there is a "Change Owner" drop-down, which is a list of the PCs.  It doesn't currently have a "General" option though.

The Item Index page doesn't currently have sorting by Owner.  We'd probably make that either a filter, like the tags, or make it searchable by typing the Owner's name in the search box.  Making it searchable would probably be enough to cover almost every scenario, and leave the filters less cluttered.  Maybe we could add "Unowned" as the default value in the "Change Owner" drop-down, so then "Unowned" Items could be searched for too.

• Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

Hi Thaen,

I found it testing this out, thanks! However, it points to the actual players as opposed to the characters. It would be cool if the dropdown could pull from the character list (including NPCs). I envision the Items section could be like this which might make the players use it more if they see their character:

And then have a switch at the top that can switch the list tobe grouped alphabetically or per owner.

what do you think?

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

• jodie
    jodie

Frak's idea would be really cool. But I imagine it would take significant logic and change.

• thaen
    thaen

@Frak_Lou_Elmo, I like the idea, and I'll add it to the list.  @jodie's right that it would be a significant change, so I can't see it happening soon.  It would also need a better UI than just a dropdown for the PCs/NPCs because in a Campaign with even a modest number of NPCs that would get unweildy pretty quickly.

(I said "PCs", but it's really a list of the Players right now. And the main function is to allow/prevent Editing by other Campaign Members.)

Post edited by thaen on

• thaen
    thaen

@jodie, it's been a while, but I made a change related to this.  It's kind of the reverse of what we discussed here.  There's now a "Player Character Item" checkbox on the Item Edit page. 

If that is unchecked (the default), then any member of the Campaign can Edit that Item (just like NPCs in the Characters area).

If the checkbox is checked, then it behaves like the PCs do ... only the GM, co-GM, or owner/author of the Item can Edit it.

So basically, all Items are now Editable by all members of the Campaign by default ... and only get locked down if they are marked as "Player Character Item".

Let me know if you see any issues.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member