Could The Mercenary pay off Delphini's/my mates groups Wizards, Debts to The Light College?

marshalljames1
edited January 2022 in General Discussion

The GM that I've mentioned a few times whose running a campaign with A Mercenary whose inherited A Criminal Empire and has another player with A Apprentice Wizard whose named Delphini after Voldemorts Daughter from The Cursed Child and her player has even given his character a almost identical background, but unlike her namesake Delphini The Player Character isn't a irredeemably evil manipulative bitch, has another question

Since The Mercenary has inherited A 1,040 year old Criminal Dynasty and he has also inherited 25,113 Gold Coins is their any reason why when Delphini graduates from The Light College he can't use 5,100 of his 25,113 Gold Coins to pay off Delphini's Debts to The Light College?

Post edited by marshalljames1 on

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

Not if y'all don't want there to be a reason.  But if you DO want a reason, Delphini (or the Mercenary) could see it as Delphini incurring a debt to the Mercenary ... explicitly or implicitly.  And she or the Mercenary might shy away from doing it in order to avoid that kind of relationship between them.

Alternatively, they might shy away from the signal that payment would send.  I mean, if Mercenary is willing to pay 5k for just her schooling ... how much of the remaining 20k is he willing to pay for her ransom?

Or The Light College could be jerks about it, and say that any payment has to come directly from Delphini, and so the money has to go in to Delphini's possession first.  But then The Light College sets it up so she's made to wait while she holds the money and gets scammed/robbed during that time.  I don't know if "The Light College" is a "good" organization or a corrupt one ... or if some particular members of the administration that see Delphini as a potential mark are corrupted even if the overall organization is good.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• marshalljames1
    On the subject of his assets I will mention a few things

Over the last 1,040 years his family has build up A Criminal Empire that spans the known world that has just over 133,600 members and nets them a minimum profit of 441,963 Gold Coins per year

They have acquired 581,530 Gold Coins worth of land, property, business's, investments, performing animals and transportation that net them a minimum profit of 44,544 Gold Coins per year

They employ A Force of 404 assorted Freelancers, roughly 42.9% of them are criminals that he or his father secured pardons for, and of the people they secured pardons for roughly 70.9% of the pardons were secured by his father

They've even got A Force of 38 Pistoliers that got outlawed for desertion but his father got them pardons after arranging for them to foil a attempt to murder of The Elector Count of Stirland, his father was the 1 that arranged that attempt but he did so with the intention that The Outlawed Pistoliers would prevent the murder of The Elector Count of Stirland, for which they'd get pardoned

25.3 years ago the characters father spend 1,053,400 Gold to buy The Title of Very Senior Baron ruling A Gigantic Barony that nets him a yearly minimum profit of 1,406 Gold Coins, 30 days worth of farming produce and 4 2-pint bottles of ale and every 3rd year it nets The Baron 1 and 3 very light Cart Horse's

Sadly when I say profit I'm referring to what they make from their organization and their business Empire, but the listed profit is before costs such as their 442 strong private army, bonus's for the people that work in their organization, the organizations Yearly Christmas Feast, donations to The Church of Shallya and donations to other good cause's

Every year the organization hands out 23,600 Gold Coins in bonus's to as many members of the organization as possible, spends 17,400 Gold Coins on A Christmas Feast as A Treat for as many members of the organization as possible, gives 14,300 Gold Coins to The Church of Shallya, gives 8,700 Gold Coins to other good cause's and they still make a minimum profit of 11,303 Gold Coins per year

Not only that he's also inherited 25,113 Gold Coins, 30,677 Silver Shillings, 35,193 Brass Pennies as well as 24,742 Gold Coins worth of assorted valuables and he's also inherited 5 Magic Arrows, 1 Magic Mace, 1 suit of magical +2 Full Leather, 1 Magical +1 Sleeved Mail Shirt, 1 Magic Headband that gives the same benefits as A +1 Magic Shield but you can use it without holding it, 13 Magic Items and 7 dose's of Magic Potion, so to someone like this guy A 20K Ransom is basically small change
  • marshalljames1
    When you said ;I mean, if Mercenary is willing to pay 5k for just her schooling how much of the remaining 20k is he willing to pay for her ransom? I had a thought

My thought was have him arrange a attempt to kill him, she saves his life and this will legally justify him using 5K to pay off her College Debts but he makes it common knowledge that he only did it because she saved his life and if she's kidnaped he won't pay a ransom

But The Player says The Mercenary will be clever and even though he will draw up a contract that says that he won't pay a ransom which she will sign their will be ways around

The 3 normal ways around it are doing a exchange of prisoners, paying someone to rescue her, which wouldn't count as paying a ransom, or even bribing up to a quarter of the kidnappers to let her go, which he'd count as paying a bribe not paying a ransom

2 more unusual loopholes in the contract that would let The Mercenary save Delphini are having people that are loyal to him rescue her or him or doing the rescue himself, naturally he'd be accompanied by the other 2 Pcs

I will also point out that they agreed to use my idea were The other 3 Pc's were 6, at the time, year old Child Slaves and they unknowingly saved The Future Mercenary from Robbers and they also didn't know that he was The Heir to The Rulership of A 1,040 year old Criminal Dynasty

He returned the favor by having his father buy their freedoms then he had his father offer them A Adopted Home, a guaranteed education and a job were they get paid to be his sons/The Future Mercenaries, friends, companions and playmates

Very good right?, I meant they saved the life of a clearly rich child who was also 6, at the time, years only and they did that without realizing what it would mean for their future

What that means for their future is that less then 1 week before rescuing The Future Mercenary they were 6 Year Old Child Slaves with almost no chance of ever being freed, only a very small chance of even a decent life, no chance of living a life better then a decent life and A very high chance of dying before they were out of mid 20's

But now they are free, they've got a offer of both a adopted home and a adopted family that is warm, comfortable, kind, loving and caring that includes them each having 4 good quality personal servants, them each getting 4 best quality meals a day, them each getting a very good education and them each having access to 5 sets of best quality clothing

Sadly things happened that mean that only The Future Barber Surgeon and The Future Apprentice Wizard ended up with that and that's because only 43 days after the good life started The Future Thief fell out with The Future Mercenary and left. Shame, I mean look at the life she could have had and then look at the life she ended up with

She then spend almost 7 years(The GM says it works out at from just pass her 7th birthday to just before her 14th birthday) as A Street Kid and she then spend just over 8 years(The GM says it works out at from 11 days before her 14th birthday to 3 days after her 22nd birthday), as A Thief

Then she had A Chance(although as The Groups planning to do Paths of The Dammed followed by A Much Harder version of Terror in Talabheim maybe it wasn't chance, maybe it was part of their groups destiny), encounter with her fellow Former Slaves and her savior, who at the time was The Heir to and is now the new Leader of A 1,040 Year Old Criminal Dynasty

The Mercenary who she once saved the life of, who arranged for her to be freed and offered her a life that every Baron in History, most of The Viscounts in History and 6% of The Earls in History would envy that she threw away after a massive falling out admitted that he'd missed her(The player says his character missed her many times more then he'll admit), the others admitted they've missed her and she admitted she's missed them

Despite what happened the last time they met The Mercenary Pc welcomed her back with open arms(my GM friend says his player told him that he had his character literally welcomed her back with open arms), as did The Other 2 Pcs, but even though they, as the saying goes, welcomed her back with open arms unlike The Mercenary Pc they didn't literally welcome her back with open arms
  • thaen
    thaen

"My thought was have him arrange a attempt to kill him, she saves his life and this will legally justify him using 5K to pay off her College Debts but he makes it common knowledge that he only did it because she saved his life and if she's kidnaped he won't pay a ransom"

Nice!  Sounds like a great piece of backstory that the GM can weave into future plots!

• marshalljames1
    Thanks, I'll pass it on

Also what do you think of the background The Players have created for their Characters?, any ideas for good or even really good adventure hooks

The GM would like some idea's for how to use trouble-causers among Delphini's fellow Journeymen Wizards of The Light College that both distrust and dislike her either because she's a former slave or because they suspect but can't prove where her adopted brothers real fortune has come from and continues to come from or even for both those reasons

The GM would also like to know if theirs any reasonable way that 1 or 2 Npcs that are also former slaves that don't know The 3 Pcs have also been freed could mistakenly think The 3 Pcs are still slaves and stir up lots of trouble?
  • thaen
    thaen

Off the top of my head, nothing really great comes to mind for me from the backstory.  Maybe one of the slaves didn't get away when these guys did, but did get away later, and blames them for abandoning him/her?

I don't really have background here to know the relationship between the Journeymen Wizards.  Are they competing for spots or power or mentors or something?  I don't know why they would have animosity toward Delphini in the first place?  And once she's "graduated"(?), is she even around them anymore?  Maybe a spurned love interest?  Or maybe they were doing the equivalent of "cheating off of her paper" and she was able to prove that she wasn't the cheater, and they got punished?  Or she had the audacity to be better at the studies than they were and they are somehow "nobler" or "purer" than she (the Hermoine mudblood idea).  Or maybe she overheard some long term plan they were plotting and doesn't know what she overheard, but they don't want her to realize it later, and so they want to get rid of her now.

I'm not following on the "slaves think the PCs are still slaves".  How would that be a problem for the PCs?

• marshalljames1
    Its 2 or 3, maybe even 4, The GM hasn't decided how many yet, Npcs that just like 3 of The Pc's are Ex Slaves but these 2 to 4 Ex Slave type Npcs either don't know or don't believe that The 3 Pcs that were Slaves have been freed

Now that I think about it maybe those 2 to 4 Ex Slave type Npcs do know The 3 Pcs have been freed but they believe they either escaped and somehow earned their freedoms later, which means that some, including The 2 to 4 Npcs, would still class them as Slaves, or they believe that the way, or ways, that they earned their freedoms was illegal, which again means that some, including The 2 to 4 Npcs, would still class them as Slaves

But its obvious that they are very good friends with A Very Senior Baron that rules A Gigantic Barony, it looks like The smallest of The 3 Pcs/the Pc in question is Delphini, may be in love with The Baron, and its obvious that they have access to better food, clothing, medical care and cash then both every very minor merchant in the world and roughly 64.4% of the worlds minor merchants

With regards to The 2 to 4 Ex Slave Npcs suspicions that The smallest of The 3 Pcs/like I said earlier its Delphini, is in love with A Very Senior Baron, well they are right but they don't know that they are right and The Baron loves her as if she was his actual sister, and he's in love with The Thief Pc whose player has named his character Nina after Niles Daughter from Fire Emblem Fates

On the subject of The Baron Pc, whose actual career is Mercenary, loving Delphini like she's his actual sister I know that legally she's only his adopted Sister but theirs no law, or at least their isn't in this campaign, saying that you can't love a adopted sister so much that you count her as a actual sister and he does love her enough to count her as his actual sister

On a similiar note I will say that even though The Barber Surgeon Pc is only the adopted brother of The Baron Pc, whose actual career is The Baron Pc, whose actual career is Mercenary, loves him enough to count him as his actual brother

On yet another similiar note I will say that if it wasn't for the falling out that let to her running away then because of how kind, loving, considerate and caring, despite at the time being the heir to the rulership of and now being the ruler of A 1,040 year old Criminal Dynasty, The Baron Pc, whose actual career is Mercenary, is then long before the campaign started he would have come to love The Thief Pc enough to also count her as his actual sister

Because these 2 to 4, the GM hasn't yet decided on the actual number, are all are both very mean and very unpleasant and like I said earlier they don't know or don't believe that The 3 Pcs that were Slaves have been freed or maybe they do know that 3 Pcs that are freed Ex Slaves but they refuse to believe that The 3 Pcs that were Slaves acquired their freedoms legally, so they decide to be even more spiteful then normal and stir up, potentially a lot, of trouble

1 idea my GM friend has had on that subject, but he may not use it, is that once people hear what these Npcs believe The Npcs will start spreading rumors such as The 3 Pcs are runaway Slaves or they seduced their owner, or owners for all The Npcs know, into freeing them or they arranged some sort of situation where they did something that earned them their freedoms

Sadly even though none of those rumors are true between them The 3 Pcs could have easily acquired their freedom via 1 of those underhanded methods and a few ways they could have done that are given a bit further down

Luckily The 3 Pcs acquired their freedom legally, but annoyingly, and believe it or not but this idea was thought up by The Players not The GM, the main trouble will be that The 3 Pcs that are Ex Slaves will find it hard, but thankfully not impossible, to prove that they acquired their freedoms legally

When I say they could have easily done it illegally I mean that all 3 of those illegal ways they could have achieved their freedom would have been easy to pull off, here's how

1 of the ways is that all 3 of The Pcs are quick witted enough to be runaway Slaves

Another of the ways is that all 3 of The Pcs have got enough looks, charm and charisma to be able to seduce their owner, or for all The Spiteful Npcs know it could have been owners, into freeing them

The last way is that all 3 of them are individually quick witted enough and between them their combined intelligence is just high enough for them to have arranged some sort of situation where they did something that earned them their freedoms
  • marshalljames1
    The Campaigns first adventure starts in less then 3, at the time of starting writing this, full minutes(starts at 15.20 and its 15.17, and all these questions they've asked me to ask are about things that they believe will happen but may not

So they decided, at the time it less then 11 full minutes before the campaign starts, to change their characters names, again, but this times its final<

Here are their names and their sources and if needed loads of info. What do you think? and in case your wondering even I find it very strange that the guy that's playing The Mercenary named his character after his, not my, favorite character from my, not his, Code Lyoko Dreams

The Mercenary ended up being called Erinn and he is named after his players favorite character from my, not his, Code Lyoko Dream's that isn't in The Code Lyoko TV Show

The Player gave Erinn A Twin Sister called Erinna who in The Campaign died when they were both only 86 days old, and Erinn is and Erinna was named after Jeremy and Aleita's Time Travelling Twins from my Code Lyoko Dreams, thankfully she didn't die in the dreams

Maybe the death of their son and heirs Twin Sister when the 2 were only 86 days old was secretly, as in they'd never admit it and with them both dead the truth will never be known, 1 of the main reasons, maybe even the main reason, why the characters parents were so willing to adopt 3 6, at the time, year old Freed Child Slaves that if they hadn't would have ended up in A Shallayan Orphanage

3 more bits of info on Erinn and Erinna and 1 bit of time and time travel

The 1st is that in the dream's both of their names are pronounced with 1 N, for example Erinn's named is pronounced Erin not Erinn, but spelt with 2 N, as a follow up example Erin's named is spelt Erinn

The 2nd is that in the dreams Erinn looks like A Male Version of his Mother/Aleita and Erinna looks like A Female Version of her Father/Jeremy

The 3rd is that annoyingly in the dreams Erinn can't deactivate towers but luckily just like their mother/Aleita, their grandparents on their mothers side/Aleita's side and their mothers/Aleita's half Sister, Erinna can and in the long term this made her far more useful then her brother

On the subject of time and time travel by the dreams time they went back in time roughly 23.3 years, they went back from very late August 2,032 to mid June 2,009, they arrived only 5 weeks after their own conception, which was 2 weeks after Aleita learnt she was pregnant, which was 1 week after she told Jeremy and got to witness their own births

I will also state that Erinn and Erinna/Jeremy and Aleita's Time Travelling Twins, were in their own past for roughly 14.64 years, that worked out as they appeared in the past sometime in mid June 2,009 and they didn't return to their own time till the day after Valentines Day 2,024

Back to names

The Apprentice Wizard is named Delphini after Voldemort and Bellatrixs Daughter from The Harry Potter and The Cursed Child

The Thieves named Nina after Niles’s Daughter from Fire Emblem Fates, in my opinion it definitely fits and Nina’s player, is A Massive Fire Emblem Fan, which makes it even more appropriate

The Barber Surgeons named Kai, he is named after his players favorite character from A Fan Made Code Lyoko Story that doesn't appear in The Code Lyoko TV Show and in The Story in question he’s Ulrich and Yumi’s Son
  • marshalljames1
    Can I have a few thoughts on a lot more background information that Delphin's player gave her and maybe some idea's for how this could play into the distrust, dislike, disrespect, animosity and hatred that a lot of her fellow Journeymen Wizards have for her and/or feel towards her

Like I've said several times she is named Delphini after Voldemort and Bellatrixs Daughter from The Harry Potter and The Cursed Child and her player has even even given her a background that's so similar that its a bit scary, for Delphini

The 14 Witch Hunters and The 450 Strong Army they led that destroyed her parents and The group of 221 assorted Cultists, Undead, Mutants, Beastmen, Skaven, and chaos Aligned Monsters her parents led somehow didn't realize that somewhere in The Cults HQ, which was beneath The Cult Leaders Home, their was A 13 week old baby

On the subject of some Skaven took part in the fight, my GM friend says that despite their being 308 surviving witness's, 10 of them respected Witch Hunters, The Empire somehow hushed up the fact that 11 Skaven took part on the fight

Thankfully she is s different from her parents as day is to night, like I said somehow The Witch Hunters overlooked her, unfortunately she was found by Slaver Traders and she was made A Slave, thankfully she wasn't a slave for very long

Or maybe I should say that wasn't a slave for very long by the standards of Slaves that are enslaved whilst they are still very young babies?, after all that is several times more accurate then saying that she wasn't a slave for very long

Potentially even worse, but I don't think it will be, is that her mother was greatest normal(as in she wasn't mutated, possessed, insane or Undead)Chaos Magic Using Warlock in more 15 decades and her father was the greatest normal(as in he also wasn't mutated, possessed, insane or Undead), Necromantic Magic Using Warlock in over 15 decades

I will also say that even though The Light College knows about her family, not sure how or when they found out but they did, she's, clearly, still alive

The main reason that she's still alive, but its A Warhammer RPG so she may not be for long, despite The Light College knowing who her parents were is that they know and understand that Delphini can't help who her parents were and what they did

In this version of Warhammer Roleplay they gave her a chance to prove she can be trusted, isn't allied to Chaos and hasn't been tempted by Chaos, sadly in a normal Warhammer Roleplay Campaign they would never even consider it, and she has proved all 3 several times