Character Image enhancements

fishdood
fishdood

I'd like to suggest a few enhancements to viewing images in the characters section.Mainly this all boils down to the images are too small in the sidebar when you open a character, so I'd like to offer a couple suggestions.

1. Can we get a basic cropping image editor, so we can have one image for the character page, and another cropped one for the character thumbnail?

2. In the character page, can we hover over or click on the picture to get a larger image?

3. Could we include a limited gallery, so we can have more than one picture available for a character?

My short concern is that I have a lot of wonderful full-body portraits of characters, but nobody can see their faces because the images are too small. The images used to be significantly larger in the character page, and that was kind of fabulous.

Comments

• thaen
    thaen

I'll add a "basic cropping image editor" to our list to investigate, but it sounds like a larger feature.

In the meantime, have you considered just using the cropped thumbnail image as the "Character Image", so it will show as the thumbnail and on the sidebar?  Then insert the larger images directly into the Description or Bio as inline pictures, and have them be linked to the full size versions?

Alternatively, with the (currently beta) Custom JavaScript, you could add a carousel of images in the Description...or really anywhere on the page.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• ragnarhawk
    Deleted - replaced with next comment
    Post edited by ragnarhawk on
  • ragnarhawk

Another option is to zoom in on the images on hover.

The following CSS zooms a character image in pretty well, although you can always tweak the width to another size.

.frame img:hover {
    position: fixed;
    top: 100px;
    right: 100px;
    width: 45% !important;
    height: auto;
    z-index: 999;
    }

The z-index helps ensure that the image remains enlarged as long as you are hovering over the enlarged image

Post edited by ragnarhawk on
  • Frak_Lou_Elmo
    Frak_Lou_Elmo

that's a nice feature, @ragnarhawk, stolen!

I tend to crop for the portraits myself and dump the full body shots in the bio. Also works with Kallak's 5e DST. But I notice that a bio with like 10 big pictures becomes looooooooong, so a carousel would probably solve this for characters without a DST. Not sure how it would work in a DST.

twitter: @Frak_Lou_Elmo

• thaen
    thaen

"Alternatively, with the (currently beta) Custom JavaScript, you could add a carousel of images in the Description...or really anywhere on the page."

Update on this ... Carousels should now work (and be available as buttons on the side of the Editor window) in the Description or Bio of a Character.

(The Carousels could also potentially work in the text fields of the DSTs ... but it would take some copy/pasting of HTML to make it work for each instance.  If someone wants this to happen some where particular, let me know and I can try to help set it up in your Campaign.)

Obsidian Portal Developer