How stupid were the 2 year olds parents?, their hatred of their owner is why their daughters a slave

marshalljames1
edited June 2022 in General Discussion

I had a dream last night and I have a question

How stupid are the 2 year olds parents?, their owner offered them A Deal, the deal was that if they agree to let him take her in and agree that she must 1 day marry his son then she will be born free, but the idiots refused, which is why their now 2 year old daughters a slave

How dumb are the 2?, I mean seriously she would have been born free, she'd have had a life of luxury, she'd have married A Minor Earl, she would have been A Minor Earless by marriage and her children would have been Minor Earls and/or Earless

But now?, the 2 year old slaves parents hatred of their owner is why their daughters is a slave but if only they'd put aside their hatred of their owner for their daughters sake then their daughter would have been born free, she'd have had a life of luxury, she'd have married A Minor Earl, she would have been A Minor Earless by marriage and her children would have been Minor Earls and/or Earless

Post edited by marshalljames1 on

Comments

• clover
    clover

...if the terms of the agreement were that she had to live with the master and then be married off to his son at whatever age he decided, that's still slavery, just being allowed to live inside the big fancy house.

It's true that if she would become a countess if she were to marry an earl... but if the master's (eldest) son, a future earl, had zero other future marriage prospects other than an infant slave girl, there's either:

1. something hopelessly wrong/horrible with the owner's family line, since none of their peers see them as suitable in-laws, or

2. the owner's son himself is already known to be a terrible enough person that he has no chance of a match among his own class (or even merchant/soldier/etc families), and likely won't for the next decade or two (since infant daughter would need to grow up).

Any family in dire enough (first-world) straits like these probably wouldn't think twice about promising whatever to whoever if it would keep their earldom from reverting back to the Crown. So it's reasonable that the parents figured that this wasn't likely to end well for their daughter either way, and at least if they refused they might be allowed to raise her themselves.

Edit: I now see that there are like ten unthreaded posts about this so my reply is out of context, but I'll leave it out of principle instead of deleting.
    Post edited by clover on