Glitch in the Campaign Log - keeps repeating the same paragraph.

ElMuggs
ElMuggs

Hi, I stumbled upon a funny bug today. If people read this entry of my campaign log > https://thedomainofdreadcouncilmeeting.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/losts-in-the-mists

there's a section half way down about Strahd being turned into a muppet and having to 'count and repeat words' which says:

This.. was a problem especially for Strahd.. for not only did he look ADORABLE vs fearsome but he had gained a annoying tick.. for each time he spoke a number he was now forced to repeat the number followed by a dramatic "AH AH AH!"

the reason for this curse was unknown to him... but amid the googly eyed flowers, bins, windows, doors and felt covered pavement who knew why or what was behind such a strange realm?

As Strahd tried to get some sense out of Daniel as to how long he'd been here and what he had seen a friendly.... overly cheery voice called out.

which yes.. actually happened in my campaign, but what's weirder is this is what is displayed in both Chrome and Edge:

This.. was a problem especially for Strahd.. for not only did he look ADORABLE vs fearsome but he had gained a annoying tick.. for each time he spoke a number he was now forced to repeat the number followed by a dramatic “AH AH AH!”

This.. was a problem especially for Strahd.. for not only did he look ADORABLE vs fearsome but he had gained a annoying tick.. for each time he spoke a number he was now forced to repeat the number followed by a dramatic “AH AH AH!”the reason for this curse was unknown to him… but amid the googly eyed flowers, bins, windows, doors and felt covered pavement who knew why or what was behind such a strange realm?

This.. was a problem especially for Strahd.. for not only did he look ADORABLE vs fearsome but he had gained a annoying tick.. for each time he spoke a number he was now forced to repeat the number followed by a dramatic “AH AH AH!”the reason for this curse was unknown to him… but amid the googly eyed flowers, bins, windows, doors and felt covered pavement who knew why or what was behind such a strange realm?As Strahd tried to get some sense out of Daniel as to how long he’d been here and what he had seen a friendly…. overly cheery voice called out.

I've tested in both Chrome and Edge - and checked the 'raw' text and updated it a few times - but for some reason it keeps repeating the same paragraphs over and over again? It's quite funny in context.... but also a little weird?

Would someone mind having a look under the hood to see if there's anything in the code that might be tripping it up?

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

Comments

• Abersade
    Abersade

What the heck.

So. Textile and the '..' don't seem to play well together. Changing all of them to ... in the first portion of your text fixes the issue.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Abersade
    Abersade

Clarification: It's not that Textile and '..' don't play well, it's that Textile is parsing that as code to do something which we aren't expecting, much like the + sign causing bolded text.

According to https://textile-lang.com/ the .. code at the end of a line causes Textile to treat it as an extended block, whatever that means in this context.

"Extended blocks (with empty lines), are marked by two periods, e.g. bc.. or bq.. and are terminated with any other text block signature—usually p.—to start a normal paragraph."

What appears to be happening then is that Textile never receives the command to end the block properly so it starts over and continues parsing until the next '..', where it iterates the process over again until the block ends.

GM of Stream of Kairos

• Abersade
    Abersade

Now, what I can't definitively explain is why your use of '..' doesn't cause the issue anywhere else in the text of that adventure log. I suspect it's because there is a quotation mark directly before the first use of '..' in the repeated text though. I'll test further and post here my results.

GM of Stream of Kairos

• Abersade
    Abersade

Welp, so much for that theory. The quotation marks have nothing to do with it, but the .. definitely does. The only thing in the section that repeats that is different from the others is that the text is broken up by line break (though not at the portion of the page where the repeats stop and start over) instead of the <p> designator, but you have a double use of .. in the very first section within a single <p> that doesn't repeat so I'm at a bit of a loss.

Post edited by Abersade on

GM of Stream of Kairos

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Interesting! I'm still trying to make sense of the 'quirks' in textile as it seems a bit 'twitchy' when it comes to formatting.

I'll leave this broken so that others can fiddle and dig into it further - as the last thing they need is someone triggering a infinite loop because Textile is being weird.

Just let me know if you need me to keep my WYSIWIG editor set to textile as I figure the 'easy fix' is to swap to the other editor - which is fine as I rather like having more buttons :)

Post edited by ElMuggs on

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

• thaen
    thaen

@ElMuggs, thanks for pointing this out!

@Abersade, thanks for tracking down the cause!

It appears that the trigger is the "This.." part specifically, since that's the beginning of the text block.  If you add a space between the periods and the "This" (like "This .."), then that will fix it.  Or if you add another period (like "This..."), then that will also fix it.

You might want to switch back to Textile before you do that Edit, as switching between Textile and CkEditor and then Editing and Saving can have some surprising effects.

I think this "This.." repeating behavior is a bug in Textile because I couldn't find any documented "text block signatures" that matched "This.." ... and you can do something like "ThisShouldNotCauseAProblem.." and it still causes the issue.  So, it doesn't seem to be related to what text string comes before the ".." (as long as it's just letters).

Since this seems to be a bug in the Textile parser, I can't think of an elegant way to fix this at this point ... other than just editing the text to add a period or add a space.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Thanks thaen! Sounds like the thing to do might be to raise it to Textile as a bug in their system.

I'll fix up the page now that we know what's behind it.

Thanks again everyone for you're help :)