more 500 errors

Oson_the_Unsound
Oson_the_Unsound

Now I remember why I stopped wanting to use this site. I'm just trying to make changes to my character, and the consistent 500 errors that started up have made it impossible, even 6 hours after the first flurry of them showed up. I used to be able to wait them out, or cross my fingers and keep trying, but it's tedious and frustrating to type the same text 5+ times in hopes it will just decide to let me make the desired changes, and I'm basically progress-locked now. Help please?

Comments

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

Hey @oson_the_unsound, I can only imagine how frustrating this is, and am so sorry you're running into it. It seems there may have been an update that caused a few problems. We're looking into the problem and I'll update you once we've been able to get it resolved.

Obsidian Portal Dungeon Manager || [email protected] 

• thaen
    thaen

Hey @oson_the_unsound, sorry you ran into this. 

It doesn't appear to be related to the updates we recently did (all backend stuff).  It seems to be specific to that one character (let me know if you see otherwise?). 

It appears to be a bug in the DST that is related to copy and pasting data directly from a webpage into the fields.  I'm going to have to do some manual clean up on this character's data and then see if there is a way to keep this from happening on future copy/pastes on this DST.  I will let you know when I've got it fixed up.  It's a manual process, so it could take a bit.

For anyone reading, if you're seeing 500 errors on different parts of the site and they seem to work sometimes and not others, it most likely means that OP is being attacked right then.  Those 500 errors can often pass "on their own" eventually.  We get spammers/scanners that hammer the site and overload the server or the database.  I have no idea why they do this.  Some appear to be trying to hack into the site with SQL injection, but even that I don't know why they would want to do.  My Campaigns are important to me ... but I don't imagine that some hacker is going to want to know what's in the Campaign??

However, if you're seeing 500 errors in one specific area/feature of the site, and the rest of the site seems to be fine, then you've probably found a bug, and we'll need to do something to fix it.  Likely we just pushed an update the previous night and don't know about the bug yet.

In either case, always feel free to contact support or post here in the forums and we can investigate and figure out what's going on and how we can fix it.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• thaen
    thaen

We got Oson's 500 errors resolved.  The DST was pushing more data to the database fields than the database fields could handle.  To fix that, we increased the amount of data that the database fields are able to handle.  So, this will fix that issue for all DSTs, not just the one that Oson was using.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

smiley

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Awesome- I have not had any 500 errors, btw

Just trying to help out.

• Caruman

Unable to save a wiki page, i'm only trying to edit one number. this is intensely frustrating..

• vadercomplex
    vadercomplex

Hey @Caruman

I'm sorry to hear you've been experiencing these issues, but thank you for bringing it to our attention! Can you tell me around what time you experienced this, in your time zone? Can you also let me know what campaign this is happening under? Have you already taken any steps to circumvent the issue, and if so, which steps? These details will help with my report to the team!

Thank you again for your patience! 

Obsidian Portal Support Druid | [email protected]

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

Hey @Caruman! Just wanted to let you know I followed up with you in an email regarding your troubles! 

Obsidian Portal Dungeon Manager || [email protected]