I'm sure this has probably been requested before, but the ability to upload our character sheets

MentalChillness
MentalChillness

I use Fantasy Grounds and some of my players use DnD Beyond. I would love the ability to upload our character sheets, even for people who use Roll20, Foundry or other VTTs. I spend so much time updating the PC sheets that it would be nice if it could be simply uploaded. After I manually created each of their character sheets, added every item, skill and spell, I told them that they can feel free to update it from here on out. I like to focus on the rest of the campaign, but the character sheets take the most time to keep updated. Any way to make this process faster and simpler would be such a wonderful feature.

Thank you for a wonderful campaign manager and hearing me out.

Comments

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

Hey MentalChillness, we really appreciate you sharing the suggestion! Just to make sure I'm fully understanding you're asking about importing sheets from DnDBeyond/VTTs? 

I'll definitely pass this along to the team, we're always looking for ways to improve. I can't guarantee what and when will be implemented as we need to focus on what will have the greatest impact on the greatest amount of our members- but we can definitely see how this would be useful! 

Obsidian Portal Dungeon Manager || [email protected] 

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

I also use DNDBeyond and it might help if we had a way to upload and view PDFs?

That way people can export their characters from DNDBeyond or whatever character creator they like.

All the dev's would need to do is copy the current 'embed image' button and use the code from https://www.labnol.org/embed-pdf-200208 to insert either a iframe or scripting to display it properly.

This would help people with custom character sheets and allow users to upload content (like homebrew sourcebooks or in game reference material) that can't really be translated easily into Obsidian Portal?

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

@Elmuggs Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it along as well :). 

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

@Elmuggs So our team let me know there is a way to do this, let me know if this helps: 

Steps: 

1.) Upload the PDF to the Media Library.

2.) Copy the URL location of the PDF from the Media Library.

3.) Click the Media Embed button. (the film looking one)

4.) Paste the PDF URL in the popup. (Ignore that it says “Youtube, Vimeo, or Soundcloud URL”) 

5.) Click Insert and Save or Preview to see the PDF displayed in the page. 

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

OMG! IT works perfectly! 

Could you ask your lovely dev team to add 'or PDF' to the media embed button description so people know this feature exists? - might be worth noting it in the 'features' too so people use it :)

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

• Vanillabean
    Vanillabean

@Elmuggs Awesome!! Our Dev team made a few changes- it should say "Media/PDF Embed" now. They also added some references to "PDF" in the popup itself. Thanks for the suggestion!! 

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

The PDF vieew is nice, but it would be nicer if you could truly integrate a Beyond sheet on OP

• vadercomplex
    vadercomplex

Thank you @Keryth987! I'll pass that along to the team. :)

Obsidian Portal Support Druid | [email protected]

• Dungeon_Master_Loki
    Dungeon_Master_Loki

Magnificent! As a DM who uses pdf handouts this is going to be very helpful. All the character sheets are now up using it! 

Game Designer, Pro GM, multiple ENnie Award winner

GM of Planejammer: The Spelljoined (Pathfinder 1e) Campaign of the Year 2011 and still going strong!

GM of The Planewalker's Guild (Pathfinder 1e) 

Need a GM? Book me today!