Change Scroll Bar Colour?

Enjay
Enjay

Hi, I've been working on customising a campaign site and I've hit a stumbling block.  I've searched, and I can't find an answer.  Maybe it's not possible.

What I want to do is change the colour of the browser window Scroll bar.  My site has a blue theme, but OP gives all sites a brownish kind of colour to the scroll bar.

While I'm at it, I've managed to change the colour of the top menu using code from here: https://post-reforge-css.obsidianportal.com/wikis/topnav but there are a few elements that I can't change and code for them was not listed on the above page.  I just need to know the element names so that I can change their colour. I'm talking about the little down arrow beside the menus, and the two elements that are grey in my picture.

Thanks for any help. :)

Screenshot

Comments

• ragnarhawk

Hi @Enjay,

Not sure what isn't working without seeing your page(s), but I found that the following code changed the grey over Help to red in one of my campaigns:

---------------------------------------

.top-bar-section .dropdown li a:hover {background-color: rgba(255,40,40,1) !important;}

---------------------------------------

I hope this helps narrow down some of your issue.

• Enjay
    Enjay

Thanks for the reply.  I think I actually managed to find that one myself. It looks familiar anyway. 

I can't check right now but, if I recall correctly, that will change the colour of the menu button when the mouse cursor is over it, but as soon as I move the mouse cursor down into the actual menu, the button - which is now down, but no longer being hovered over - goes the grey colour in my screenshot.  The individual menu entries are a different element too, I think, so they go grey when hovered over (again, as per my screenshot).  Although not shown in the screenshot, my mouse cursor was over the "Help" entry when I crabbed the screen.

I've tried inspecting these elements of the website but it's hard to do because they change dynamically. frown

Post edited by Enjay on
  • Abersade
    Abersade

Hmm. Not sure I've ever tried to change the scroll bar before...

Be right back.

GM of Rise of the Durnskald: Wrath of the Fallen Goddess - February 2016 CotM

GM of Core: The Ashes of Alcarna - April 2020 CotM

GM of Stream of Kairos

Need CSS Help? It may be covered here: Abersade's CSS Hub

• Abersade
    Abersade

At it's most basic, this can be done using the following css:

::-webkit-scrollbar {background-color: black;}

::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {background-color: red;}

::-webkit-scrollbar-corner {background-color: black;}

That said, this is... clunky. Many adjustments don't work at all, like setting a background image as the thumb. Others, like setting the scrollbar as transparent, work but not in the way you'd expect.

Attempting some further tweaking, I think I got to a nice result using the following css:

::-webkit-scrollbar {background-color: black;}

::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {background-color: red; -webkit-box-shadow: inset 0 0 6px rgba(0,0,0,0.4); border-radius: 6px 6px 6px 6px;}

::-webkit-scrollbar-corner {background-color: black;}

GM of Stream of Kairos

• Enjay
    Enjay

Oh wow, thank you so much.  That does indeed work... mostly.

By "mostly" I have just figured out (at least partly) why nothing I was doing worked.  I copied/pasted your code into my capaign and it didn't seem to work.  However, spurred on by the fact that, unlike me, you obviously know what you are doing, I tried a different browser and - It Worked!

So, yes, the code you posted does the trick, and looks good in Chrome.  I can certainly adapt it for my colour scheme.  However, Firefox seems to ignore it entirely.  I don't know why because the default OP colour scheme obviously manages to change the scroll bar appearance in Chrome and Firefox.

Post edited by Enjay on
  • Abersade
    Abersade

It doesn't work in Firefox?

So it doesn't, you are correct. I'll see what I can do to fix that and update here.

GM of Stream of Kairos

• Abersade
    Abersade

Ugh, this just straight up doesn't work in Firefox. Unsupported via CSS, though it IS supported via JavaScript. Unfortunately I am not the person to ask for help with JavaScript questions, you'd get a much better answer regarding JS from someline like Nuadaria on the discord server.

Post edited by Abersade on

GM of Stream of Kairos

• Enjay
    Enjay

No worries.  I really appreciate you taking the time to help.  Thank you for letting me know that CSS can't do it in Firefox.  That alone will save me time and effort.

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Just a headsup that while you can do this with CSS very few browsers support this feature anymore!

It mostly worked for Internet Explorer but modern browsers/mobile and Apple users will not have this feature working.... so don't go pulling your hair out over it.

https://caniuse.com/css-scrollbar shows which browsers using which code.

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023!