Locations tab - on par with Character/Items sections ?

ElMuggs
ElMuggs

Hi OP team, following the recent improvements on the Character and Items pages it would be great to see something similar done for 'locations' being that it's the third key part of any RPG game?

This would then allow people to better sort and layout their game world's setting - rather then just relying on the wiki pages which can be a bit harder to keep track of over time.

No rush :)

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

Comments

• vadercomplex
    vadercomplex

Hey @Elmuggs! Thanks for this suggestion, I'm passing it along the team right now. :~) 

Obsidian Portal Support Druid | [email protected]

• thaen
    thaen

It's unlikely that we're going to add any native new sections, like Locations or Monsters or Vehicles, etc., but that's why we added the Custom Navigation and the Wiki Page DSTs.

With those features, members can add whatever sections they want to their Campaign's navigation, and then setup the Index, Edit, and Show views of that section as they see best for their games, and share that with the OP Community members that also like that setup.

If you want to create any of those DSTs and feel like there's some piece that you're missing access to that you would need to make the DST work the way you expect, then bring it up, we'll see how we can help to remove that obstacle.

We want to get the OP dev team out of the way of members setting up their Campaigns the way they see best for their game.

Obsidian Portal Developer

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Hi Thaen, I'd simply suggest Locations because you can't really have a game without some kind of setting - wheras monsters/vehicles etc. may not be a part of every game world.

The main difference is that it would be great to not need to hand-code the 'Domains of Dread' list every time the players go somewhere - and needing to sort though all the 'hidden' wiki pages used for rooms in Castle Ravenloft - which has over 80 wiki pages when working on the wiki side of the Campaign.

Simply copy/pasting the minimalist layout of the Items layout would be really helpful - as simple things like having a image float on the sidebar can be hard to code otherwise - and this could better tie in to the DST/Map Function?

DM of The Domains of Dread Council Meeting (...a Comedic Misadventure though the mists of a re-imagined Ravenloft! ) - COTM Feb 2023! 

• thaen
    thaen

You could use the Items section directly as it is now for your Locations.

You could ...

Create your Locations as Items, and tag them "location" (for example).

Use the Custom Item Layout to hide the "location" tagged Items in the normal view of Items. (Or you could use Custom CSS for this too I think.)

Use the Items Index URL that's pre-filtered to "location" tagged Items as an entry on your Custom Navigation of "Locations".

Are there any parts that are missing from that?

• ElMuggs
    ElMuggs

Hi Thaen, I did think of this initially when the custom layout was added to the Items pages but that would then mix up the items/locations pages together.

I know it might take a bit more work on the 'backend' but copying the existing 'Add Item' code to create a 'Add Location'  button and similar page layout would fit the OP aim of being easy to use for any system in contrast to the DST system or custom coding.

It doesn't need to be a high priority, but would be a clear line between OP and World Anvil that OP makes it easy to quickly create a tavern/Spaceship, Kingdom or Planet - or any other 'location' you want, without needing to mess around with custom code or fill in forms...while also giving DM's the ability to customise these panels - which I didn't even know was possible until recently :)

• thaen
    thaen

I've added this to the list, but I would encourage you not to hold your breath : ), and to instead create a Wiki Page DST for Locations. If you need help with the coding or CSS, make a post here in the Community Forums and I'm sure we can get it to look exactly like you want, since the DSTs can use HTML, CSS, and JavaScript, so there's almost no limitation on what a DST can be made to do.