Internal Error 500 after 50% of Edits

AussieEric

I have just started using the site and I create a new campaign and started populating it with information.

It all went pretty well for the first few days. But for the last two days, about 50% of any edits I do result in an Internal Error 500 message and it takes me back to my main page without the edits.

This has happened on simple text edits, adding headings, adding character pictures. I haven't been able to narrow it down to a certain action that causes it.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this and how I can get around it?

Comments

• Johnprime
    Johnprime

Every once in a while these errors show up. Unfortunately, it's such a general error that it's sometimes hard to track down. More than likely, there was a service on the OP servers that had failed or was failing occasionally. Hopefully their support team will get it squared away.

Big question, did you put in a support ticket explaining the situation? If you didn't OP support might not even know it's happening!

Johnprime

Deadwood Deacon Banner

Where the west is really wild!

The Valley of Life Banner

The Valley of Life

• AussieEric

Thanks Johnprime

I haven't put in a support ticket yet. It was such a random problem and I couldn't determine what I was doing that was causing it. I thought it may have been something I was doing while editing.

So I thought I would ask here in case it was my issue.

I'll put in a support ticket next :)

• AussieEric

Well, the issue was just mentioned in the Weekly Update, so I guess it wasn't anything I was doing. 

• KenMoorhead
    KenMoorhead

Seeing the issue yesterday and put in a support request. Response from OP that they're aware and working on it, but gave no details on when to expect resolution.

AussieEric - Where can I find the weekly update? New to OP and having trouble navigating support resources.

Post edited by KenMoorhead on
  • AussieEric

Hi Ken

It's posted in the Obsidian Portal blog:

http://blog.obsidianportal.com/

It can be found in the quick links that also direct to the forums and support.

• Kallak
    Kallak

Hey guys. Just wanted to chime in to confirm and reiterate what's been said. Yes, we're on the case with these errors on saving. Log entries indicate it's related to a timeout when connecting for the data saving. That it's only occurring some of the time might mean that whatever is going on is only happening on one of the boxes, and thus depends on which machine is handling the request - but don't quote me on that, dev side has not confirmed this and I am by no means a server guy.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • JohnTaber
    JohnTaber

That is what I was just going to post!!!

I swear if I finish my editing them count to 30 seconds before hitting the save button it works MOST of the time.  It feels like this is a bigger issue when the page content is longer.  ;)

• UselessTriviaMan
    UselessTriviaMan

Yeah, I've also been experiencing it for the last few days. It's been annoying enough today that I was gonna put in a ticket, but it looks like I'm just hopping on the bandwagon for a ride around the meadow at this point. :)

Ptolus, City by the Spire - 2016 Campaign of the Year

"Please pay attention very carefully, because this is the truest thing a stranger will ever say to you: In the face of such hopelessness as our eventual, unavoidable death, there is little sense in not at least TRYING to accomplish all your wildest dreams in life."  - - Kevin Smith

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

In the last 3 or 4 days it is to the point that for me after EVERY SINGLE edit I get this error and lose my edits.  I can sometimes retain them by holding down cnt-shift and refreshing but that only works occasionally.

The way it is now I can't do anything. My hard reload trick no longer seems to work and I get the error 100% of the time. This makes it impossible to use OP. I hope a fix is found soon. Sooner even.
    Post edited by HumAnnoyd on

November 2012 CotM:  Dresden Files RPG: The Emerald City

June 2016 CotM:  Star Wars: Rise of the Infinite Empire

JUNE 2020 CotM & 2020 CotY:  Mass Effect Accelerated

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• HumAnnoyd
    HumAnnoyd

One thing I noticed which may or may not help is that it doesn't seem to go to the Error if I am updating my CSS in the Advanced tab of the Settings section.  

November 2012 CotM:  Dresden Files RPG: The Emerald City

June 2016 CotM:  Star Wars: Rise of the Infinite Empire

JUNE 2020 CotM & 2020 CotY:  Mass Effect Accelerated

FEBRUARY 2022 CotM & 2022 CotY: Dresden Files Accelerated:  Emerald City-Requiem 

Current Campaigns:  Traveller Osmium Buccaneers: Pirates of Drinax, Cyberpunk 2077 Accelerated

• Kallak
    Kallak

It definitely appears to be degenerative. I'm not at 100% error rate, but it's climbing for sure. That said, we're hopeful for a resolution by the end of weekend. We've assembled the same team that repaired the previous round of server issues, so hang in there just a little bit longer.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Kallak
    Kallak

Hey all, quick update on this: if you aren't already seeing improvements in this area, you will later tonight. Fixes are set to be rolled out to production that will address the recent spat of 500 errors when saving, as well as the login page (both 'via Facebook' and 'via Google+'). We're also set to upgrade our current mongo database configuration for improved reliability and performance.

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • AussieEric

Thanks for the update Kallak

• Kallak
    Kallak

Update on this: We conducted the final round of  testing for the new infrastructure setup, and are now addressing the two errors that cropped up during the tests. Deployment to production is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 8am EST (barring any unforeseen circumstances).

All the best,
    - Kallak
  • Kallak
    Kallak

Hey all, coming in with another update on this: the rollout to production of the new/updated infrastructure has been completed. There is a small list of known issues we are currently working on in our Infrastructure Rollout and Social Sign-in Updates blog post. If you encounter a problem not on the list, please let me know at [email protected] so I can get it added to the post.

All the best,
    - Kallak