New to here

Comments

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Welcome!  Tell us about yourself, your group, and your game!

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf
    Post edited by twiggyleaf on

"I met a traveller from an antique land....."

CotM May 2016: Mysteria: set in Wolfgang Baur’s MIDGARD.

Previous CotM Aug 2012: Shimring: High Level Multiplanar Campaign

Inner Council Member

• Majestico

Hi Twiggy,

I also am in Scotland, Falkirk to be precise.  I have played pen and paper rpg's since i was ten, more than 30 years ago, and for the bulk of this time, I was the DM.  I am currently looking for a simple system that does not require a great deal of IT skills, in order to provide a captivating and very engrossing campaign world. Be it D & D or some other system ( I have even invented some of my own).  My players always found my games exciting, and the longer the campaigns the more they would get into the game.  As a part-time writer, this is where my skill lies in. 

I am looking to be either a player for a change, or recruit new players into one of my age old campaigns, where I pride myself in being a, or ble to make the worlds come to life.  My 'villians' can be complex, with motives and bad choices that have lead them to the terrible places they are now.  I am looking for a game system that we could use quickly and easily over the net or even adopt a pbm system via e-mail.  I like to slowly introduce my players new characters into my worlds so that they don't feel swamped with information, but after a time, I am confident you and the other players will be gripped.  

Do you know of any game system like this online?  I know Fantasy Grounds and all that are great, but they take a great deal of prep and general no-how.  I would prefer to this , and draw my own maps and creatures, and then scan them, along with details of what was going on. 

I have literally just saw this site, as this is a new laptop. What do you think yourself?

• Keryth987
    Keryth987

Welcome to the Insanity!

• GamingMegaverse
    GamingMegaverse

Welcome @majestico!  This site is really easy to use, and as far as game systems, I personally love Savage Worlds!!

Just trying to help out.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Hi @Majestico

I am based in Glasgow and we pretty much have a group that has been ongoing for several years now, and we are not looking for any new players at the moment.  We meet up on Tuesday nights at a group in Glasgow called G3 (Glasgow Gaming Group) - You can check out the Facebook page of the same name for more details - usually about 30 to 50 people attending and playing a variety of games, mainly Strategy Skirmish games, but some roleplaying.  Of course, it may not be suitable for a Falkirk resident.

As to recommendations for systems, we play Pathfinder First Edition, but I would recommend D&D 5e or Pathfinder 2e, since they are not genre specific.  If you are looking for a virtual TableTop to use ONLINE, I would suggest you look into Owlbear Rodeo.  It is much simpler than both Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds.  We have been using it for a couple of years now, and find that it accommodates all our needs.  You have to be aware that is a system that doesn't get downloaded, instead it fits into the cache on your computer.  Here is a little YouTube video that sets out the basic components:

We usually use Owlbear Rodeo in conjunction with Skype.  

For creating maps that can be exported into Owlbear Rodeo, I tend to use Dungen Scrawl.  I have also left a little youtube link about this as well:

With regard to Obsidian Portal, it is probably the best RPG Wiki system that one could hope for.  I suggest you try it out for a few months, experimenting with your "Tharfold" site, and if you feel it is working for you, then consider becoming an ASCENDANT member, which opens up a lot of extra tools for about £50 a year.

I hope this helps, and wish you the best of luck either fitting into an existing group, or forming your own.

smiley

Inner Council Member

• Majestico

Thanks for the detailed reply Twiggy. It is heartening to see such a great hobby flourishing.  Uncanny you suggested a video I just watched before logging on here and reading your reply!   Thanks for the recommendations. I do like the feel 9f this site, and plan to spend more time exploring it. I must admit that I do like roller, and it has been very easy for me to get to grips with. It will be interesting to see how this compares. Does Obsidian allow uploads from other map making sites that I have used in devising my own setting? It's had 35 years of growth and development,  and so I already have a wealth of data which I would love to stockpile under one overall user base. Even 1st edition hand written notes that I can scan to make digital.  

Also have you seen this new D and D tech that I think is in alpha? Where it makes onscreen replicas of minis and let's say a Dungeon? You can go right down into the setting as though you were there. With the new unreal engine, I think the future of online rpg is going to be amazing.

I mean, it won't replace face to face gaming  and I am 2 min away from a translation that takes me to Glasgow  and that venue sounds really good. We used to have  Geeks and Gamers through here that had a great upstairs section for hosting rpgs. Closed down now sadly.

Anyway, I shall checkout that other system you mentioned qnd I also own several second edition pathfinder books. I think it was the sheer bulk of the core rulebook that drew me to it!  Do you run any games yourself?  The great thing with these apps means that you can find dedicated players from all over the world. My own home games stopped through time due to my friends and I getting older and life gets in the way of  a cohesive group. This issue has now been solved. One last question  do you guys run any Call of Cthulu games? Battery about to die so posting.

• twiggyleaf
    twiggyleaf

Hey @Majestico, I have sent you a Personal Message on OP!

smiley

Inner Council Member